- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 eggs
- 6-3/4 to 7-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the shortening, sugar and salt. Stir in boiling water. Cool to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add yeast mixture, eggs and 3 cups flour to shortening mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Fold circles in half; press edges to seal. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush with butter. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Parker House Dinner Rolls
"As a kid I remember how wonderful my grandma's house would smell when she was baking her breads and pies. I feel blessed to make these and when they are baking I can almost feel her sitting beside me. I love making yeast breads. Thanks for sharing!!!!"
"I am not sure these are worth the trouble. I thought they were a little bland. Maybe they need a little more sugar or salt. My family loved them, but personally I wasn't that crazy about them. I had higher hopes."
"I made this recipe and made cinnamon rolls out of it. It was delicious."
"This is now our favorite dinner roll! They are soft and delicious. I did not roll mine out, though. I shaped them into balls and placed them in 9inch round baking pans. They turned out perfect."
"I have a question about step #3. Do you really fold the cut out circle in half and seal the edges? The picture make them look round."
"Good dinner rolls."
"These are FABULOUS!"
"This recipe came out so wonderful, I felt like I had mastered bread making. I did use my stand mixer for the kneading, as these old hands are not what they used to be. Thank you for a great recipe."
"Wonderful! These freeze very well after baking. My freezer is full of them so that I can pull them out whenever we have guests."