Papa's Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter flavoring
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground macadamia nuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional granulated sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the butter flavoring, orange peel and vanilla.
- 2. Combine the flour, nuts, baking soda, salt, cream of tartar and cinnamon; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in additional sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in additional sugar.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 8 dozen.
1 each: 82 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Papa's Sugar Cookies
"Delicious. They reminded me of Snickerdoodles with the cinammon in the mix rather than on the cookie!"
"Delicious! I made these for Christmas, for my family and also to give away to friends and neighbors. They loved them, asked where to find the recipe and said they just dissolve in your mouth. Recently, I made a double batch, they get eaten so quickly that I wanted to make sure to have some around for awhile."
"Yum! I made this recipe for Thanksgiving. At first people were a little ho-hum, but they kept coming back for more and pretty soon they were all gone and everyone admitted they just couldn't resist reaching for another one."
"They turned out very nice."
" Thank You, I have been baking and cooking for over 30 years and have never seen a recipe calling for butter flavoring??? I will look for it next time I am at the store.
"Butter flavoring comes in a bottle. It's usually in the cake area. This is a liquid. There are all flavors like almond,vanilla,strawberry is just a few . Adams Best is a great brand. I try to keep them in around all the time."
"What is butter flavoring? Butter??"
"A Waterford glass makes a beautiful design when stamped on the cookie dough! Very special!!"
"The design is made by using a glass with that design in the bottom of it. Usually a juice or wine glass has them."
"Cn anyone tell me how the design and edge on the cookies in the picture were made? A scalloped biscuit cutter? Ad a cookie press?"
"The cookies were crisp and the dough very easy to work with, but I was disappointed in the flavor. Typical sugar cookie- bland! Next time I will put in a lot more orange zest and cinnamon."
"One of the BEST cookies I have ever made. I alternate the flavors each time by adding pulverized coconut and almonds instead of macadamia nuts, or almond flavoring and almonds, or lemon zest and lemon extract, etc. So versatile. Love this recipe. I have always cut recipe in half and it makes about 45 delicious cookies."
"These have an unusual flavor because of the macadamia nuts and orange rind. Really, really tasty. Glad I didn't reduce the recipe. Saved some batter and made a few days later."
"I've been baking for a lot of years, but I don't think I have ever baked 8 dozen cookies the first time I tried a recipe. We are a small family so it will take a while toeat 96 cookies; but I Didn't want to reduce the recipe.all41."