I put this dish together one day when we had unexpected company for dinner. I used ingredients from my pantry and tossed in some ground pork. Our guests raved about the flavor.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 small onion, chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups julienned peeled butternut squash
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups frozen green beans
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine pork, half of the onion, allspice, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Press into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with potatoes and remaining onion. Combine flour and remaining salt; sprinkle over potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes; drain.
- Layer the squash, nutmeg, remaining pepper and beans on top of potatoes. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with almonds; bake for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pantry Pork Dish in Country Pork 1996, p85
Reviews for Pantry Pork Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review