Panna Cotta with Mixed Berries Recipe
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup water
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 1/2 cup port wine or grape juice
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Stir in extract.
- 2. Pour into six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate until set.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring water and sugar substitute to a boil. Add the frozen berries and wine or juice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Mash and strain berries, reserving juice. Discard seeds.
- 4. Return juice to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Unmold panna cotta onto dessert plates. Serve with sauce and fresh berries. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 174 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 milk.