Panko Fried Green Tomatoes
Panko bread crumbs have a coarser texture than ordinary bread crumbs, which you can also use to coat the tomatoes. However, the panko crumbs will give them a uniquely light and crispy texture. —Jacquelynne Stine, Las Vegas, Nevada
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 5 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread
- crumbs. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until
- golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Serve
- Yield: 10 servings.