Panko bread crumbs have a coarser texture than ordinary bread crumbs, which you can also use to coat the tomatoes. However, the panko crumbs will give them a uniquely light and crispy texture. —Jacquelynne Stine, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 5 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In three separate shallow bowls, place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomatoes in Taste of Home
Reviews for Panko Fried Green Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2014
"These are the best fried green tomatoes I have every had"
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2013
"I love fried green tomatoes and these are GREAT!"
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2011
"this is a simple an very easy recipe and tasted great"