When my husband was in charge of our large pioneer celebration a few years ago, he decided to multiply our family favorite for a crowd. The dish is easy to fix and has become a standby for the event. Here is the original recipe, cheesy and comforting.
15 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 4 pounds medium potatoes, peeled
- 2-3/4 cups (11 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or just until
- tender. Drain; cool slightly. Grate potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add potatoes.
- Stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated
- through. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 178 calories, 8 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.