"This terrific blend provides the ease of a boxed pancake mix with the homemade goodness of light, fluffy pancakes and waffles made from scratch," says Deb Poitz of Fort Morgan, Colorado. It uses a terrific buttermilk powder (see box below right).
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk blend powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKES:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR WAFFLES:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients with a wire whisk. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Yield: about 7 batches of pancakes or about 4 batches of waffles (11 cups total).
- To prepare pancakes: In a medium bowl, beat egg, water and oil. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups pancake/waffle mix. Let stand for 5 minutes. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Yield: about 6 pancakes.
- To prepare waffles: In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, water and oil. Stir in 2-1/2 cups pancake/waffle mix just until moistened. In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 13 waffles (about 4 inches) per batch. Yield: about 6 pancakes or 13 waffles (about 4 inches) per batch.
Originally published as Pancake and Waffle Mix in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p59
Reviews for Pancake and Waffle Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review