Pan-Seared Chili Salmon Recipe
- 3 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1. Place carrots in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 12 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the rice, broth and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Combine chili powder and salt; rub over salmon. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook salmon in oil over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 4. Remove rice from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. In a small bowl, combine the carrots, parsley, butter and remaining pepper. Serve with salmon and rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 salmon fillet with 2/3 cup carrots and 1/2 cup rice equals 369 calories, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.