Pan-Fried Venison Steak
“Growing up, this recipe was a family favorite when we had deer meat. I loved it, and now my children do too!”
—Gayleen Grote, Battle View, North Dakota
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound venison or beef tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups crushed saltines
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- Flatten venison to 1/4-in. thickness. Place saltines in a shallow
- bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and
- pepper. Coat venison with saltines, then dip in egg mixture and coat
- a second time with saltines.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook venison in oil in batches
- for 2-3 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness
- (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°). Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 ounces cooked venison equals 410 calories, 24 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 606 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.