- 2 packages (1-1/2 ounces each) enchilada sauce mix
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 9 large flour tortillas (9-inch)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- Taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion and/or guacamole, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the beef. Drain; stir in one third of the sauce. Spread another third on the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Place three tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Add three more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas; top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Layer remaining tortillas; top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion, and/or guacamole if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Pan Burritos
"My family loved this recipe. I knew I had a winner when everyone took seconds and started fighting over who would get the leftovers for lunch. This was easy and versatile (I made a small separate casserole using just beans for my vegetarian). I did jazz up the beef in my main casserole while browning. I added spices like cumin, chili powder, paprika, coriander, diced onion, and garlic. I also added a can of diced tomato with Italian seasoning. I let my family choose their toppings of sour cream, salsa, guacamole, jalape?o, and shredded lettuce. I will definitely be making this dish again."
"Followed the recipe exactly and my husband and I both agreed the flavor is really good but it needs a little crunch. Next time I think I with add tostada shells or tortilla chips in with the layers and on top to give it a better texture."
"Made it for the first time for my daughter's birthday. She loves mexican food. This recipe made a really big hit with her and the family! I just used taco seasonings instead but it was great. Not too spicy, just the way we love it!!"
"Love this recipe! I did use the canned enchilada sauce instead of making my own for time's sake. There's just two of us, so we had leftovers for a few days. I was worried about the tortillas getting soggy, but they held up really well. Only change I'm making next time is using more beef and sauce, since our pan is a bit larger than the recipe is meant for."
"Very tasty but WAY too much sodium. Nearly a full day's worth in one meal."
"So simple and sooo good! Make it to individual tastes. We like it spicy and it's great next day for leftovers, if there is any, that is."
"I use corn tortillas instead of flour, here in CA we can get 10" corn tortillas and they are my preference when it comes to this type of food. I adjust the seasonings to our own taste, (hot), swap out the water for beef broth, use 2 cans of refried beans and in not a lot of time we have a delicious home cooked Mexican type meal. We have this the next night as left overs and find that this really makes 4 nice hearty portions but no way can you get 8 to 10 servings out of it."
"My family loved this dish. I did add some taco seasoning to the beef to give it more flavor. Also when pressed for time I just use the can of enchilada sauce to make things easier."
"This was real good but I did change a bit after reading the comments. I used two packets of taco seasoning when cooking the ground beef and didn't add the water as I used two cans of red enchilado sauce. I also didn't measure the cheese. I piled it on. I forgot to buy refried beans so I omitted them. I baked for 30 minutes. We all enjoyed this."
"An all-time, all-family favorite since it was first published in TOH! Our oldest daughter has even requested that I make this recipe for her wedding reception next fall! THAT'S how much it's enjoyed in our family. We have six children, most of whom now have their own homes. But, this one is frequently requested by all of them. I follow the recipe exactly as written."