- 2 packages (1-1/2 ounces each) enchilada sauce mix
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 9 large flour tortillas (9-inch)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- Taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion and/or guacamole, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the beef. Drain; stir in one third of the sauce. Spread another third on the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Place three tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Add three more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas; top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Layer remaining tortillas; top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion, and/or guacamole if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Pan Burritos
Sort By :
"An all-time, all-family favorite since it was first published in TOH! Our oldest daughter has even requested that I make this recipe for her wedding reception next fall! THAT'S how much it's enjoyed in our family. We have six children, most of whom now have their own homes. But, this one is frequently requested by all of them. I follow the recipe exactly as written."
"Have made this recipe a lot over the years, we love it. It is always well received. Sometimes I buy the enchilada sauce in the can to make it a bit easier. Extra cheese and garlic is always a good idea. Don't leave out the beans, you can even use fat free refried beans in the hot style to give it zip."
"This is a very good recipe. I used 6 cups of cheese which made it nice and gooey."
"This was a very good dish. I did add taco seasoning to the meat sauce because it just needed more flavor to us. Other than that, it was great!"
"My husband and I really enjoyed this! I halved everything and used 3, 10 inch tortillas and layered in a 10 inch pie plate. There was enough for dinner and lunches the next day."