Pan Burritos Recipe
- 2 packages (1-1/2 ounces each) enchilada sauce mix
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 9 large flour tortillas (9-inch)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- Taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion and/or guacamole, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the beef. Drain; stir in one third of the sauce. Spread another third on the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Place three tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Add three more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas; top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Layer remaining tortillas; top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion, and/or guacamole if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Pan Burritos(5)
Sort By :
This is a very good recipe. I used 6 cups of cheese which made it nice and gooey.
This was a very good dish. I did add taco seasoning to the meat sauce because it just needed more flavor to us. Other than that, it was great!
My husband and I really enjoyed this! I halved everything and used 3, 10 inch tortillas and layered in a 10 inch pie plate. There was enough for dinner and lunches the next day.
I make this all the time. I make the enchilada sauce according to the package directions (2 cups water per package), which is great b/c I prefer it saucyer. No need to add the garlic or pepper. after the beef is browned, drained and rinsed, I add it back to the pan add 1/3 or the sauce and the refried beans. No need to futts around w/the beans seperately. Sometimes I add chopped green chilies for more flavor. Great w/sour cream and jalapenos. Easy to play around with to make different each time. Enjoy.
I've been making this recipe for years. I saw it in your magazine in1994. My whole family loves it. It's easy and we like the fact that it is a casserole instead of individual burritos. I can understand why it won the contest.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Burritos >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >