Painted Holiday Delights Recipe
These soft sandwich cookies are eye-catching, thanks to the holiday designs you paint of with food coloring. Orange juice in the dough and strawberry preserves in the filling add a light fruity flavor. I make them for special occasions.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Assorted food coloring
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and orange juice; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Shape into a ball; cover and chill for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. Combine filling ingredients; spread on the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies.
- 4. For glaze, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over tops of cookies; dry. Using a small new paintbrush and food coloring, paint holiday designs on cookie tops. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
2 each: 330 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Painted Holiday Delights
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC