- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the broth, rice, onion, half of the garlic, salt, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onions, parsley, thyme, hot pepper sauce and remaining garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook until green pepper is crisp-tender. Add tomato and peas; heat through.
- 3. Discard bay leaf; add rice mixture to vegetable mixture and keep warm. In a nonstick skillet, cook and stir shrimp in lemon juice for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook until chicken is no longer pink and shrimp has turned pink, about 3-5 minutes. Add to rice mixture; toss. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 each: 258 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Paella
"Excellent! A lot of prep time, but that is to be expected with a dish like this."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.