Stuffed with a pizza-style filling, these special sandwiches surprise you with a burst of flavor in every bite. They were popular with the preschool set at our son's dinosaur-theme birthday party...but you can be sure adults will love them, too! — Robin Werner, Brush Prairie, Washington
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 12 slices pepperoni
- 1 package (2-1/2 ounces) thinly sliced deli pastrami, chopped
- 1 package (2-1/2 ounces) thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt and 2-1/4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Roll dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cutter. Reroll scraps to cut a total of 24 circles. Place 1 teaspoon pizza sauce and a slice of pepperoni in the centers of 12 circles.
- Combine the pastrami, ham and cheese; place equal amounts over pepperoni. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon pizza sauce. Cover with remaining circles; press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with pizza pockets. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Padysaurus Pizza Pockets in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p37
Reviews for Padysaurus Pizza Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review