Padre Island Shells Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3-1/2 cup medium shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomato and parsley.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Stir in pasta and crab. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 395 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 476 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Padre Island Shells
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.