- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, seasonings, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Ozark Sloppy Joes
"this is a favorite in my family! I usually do whichever pepper we have too... Its fine without worcestershire sauce as well. Also I usually add a bit extra of the cayenne pepper...:)"
"From the previous reviews I was really looking forward to trying these. The recipe is really bland. I had to add more salt & it was still lacking any real flavor it just left your mouth a little warm but had no spicy "taste". Yuck."
"These are just delicious. The only thing I changed was that I added a little catsup to the simmering meat. It was wonderful, and my husband says this should be on our table often. Left overs make for a good lunch the next day too."
"This recipe was pretty easy/fast to make and tasty -- seemed like it could have used more kick though, so I think I'll add in more chili powder next time."
"Best sloppy joes we have ever had! Deleting all my other recipes for sloppy joes from my files!"
"This is a flavorful recipe! I used a red bell pepper instead of a green pepper and it came out very well."
"YUMMY! My hubby said these were the best sloppy joes he's ever had. I guess no more Manwich for our family! They were really good. I omitted the cayenne pepper because we didn't have any on hand. So, to make up for that, I just added a bit more salt, pepper, and chili powder to the recipe. Boy were they good!"
"These were excellent, not like your typical sloppy joe because they're not as sweet. They remind me of the old chopped beef sandwiches. It's cheap,easy and very good.tom, connelly springs nc"
"Delicious! Nice to have sloppy joes that aren't overly sweet...just packed with flavor!~ Theresa"
"A little too "hot" for my taste, so next time I may not put the pepper in it...or use celery instead of green onions. But my husband loved it!"