Ozark Sloppy Joes Recipe
Years ago, my family operated a snack boat on Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks. These popular Sloppy Joes were a hit with hungry boaters. —Michele Delanty, Sunrise Beach, Missouri
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the sugar, flour, seasonings, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
1 burger equals 274 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC