Ozark Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the sugar, flour, seasonings, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 274 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 479mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Ozark Sloppy Joes
"this is a favorite in my family! I usually do whichever pepper we have too... Its fine without worcestershire sauce as well. Also I usually add a bit extra of the cayenne pepper...:)"
"From the previous reviews I was really looking forward to trying these. The recipe is really bland. I had to add more salt & it was still lacking any real flavor it just left your mouth a little warm but had no spicy "taste". Yuck."
"These are just delicious. The only thing I changed was that I added a little catsup to the simmering meat. It was wonderful, and my husband says this should be on our table often. Left overs make for a good lunch the next day too."
"Best sloppy joes we have ever had! Deleting all my other recipes for sloppy joes from my files!"
"This is a flavorful recipe! I used a red bell pepper instead of a green pepper and it came out very well."
"YUMMY! My hubby said these were the best sloppy joes he's ever had. I guess no more Manwich for our family! They were really good. I omitted the cayenne pepper because we didn't have any on hand. So, to make up for that, I just added a bit more salt, pepper, and chili powder to the recipe. Boy were they good!"
"Delicious! Nice to have sloppy joes that aren't overly sweet...just packed with flavor!~ Theresa"
"A little too "hot" for my taste, so next time I may not put the pepper in it...or use celery instead of green onions. But my husband loved it!"
"I have the same recipe,but 2 stalks of cut up celery in it.I agree with the sugar and the mustard."
"I liked this recipe because I could taste the beef -- it was not disguised with too many flavors. I can't remember enjoying a sloppy joe this much!"
"Yummy. I added an additional Tbs of sugar and a Tbs of mustard."