Ozark Sloppy Joes
Years ago, my family operated a snack boat on Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks. These popular sloppy joes were a hit with hungry boaters.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, seasonings, tomato sauce and Worcestershire
- sauce. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 268 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,