- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, seasonings, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Ozark Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
this is a favorite in my family! I usually do whichever pepper we have too... Its fine without worcestershire sauce as well. Also I usually add a bit extra of the cayenne pepper...:)
From the previous reviews I was really looking forward to trying these. The recipe is really bland. I had to add more salt & it was still lacking any real flavor it just left your mouth a little warm but had no spicy "taste". Yuck.
These are just delicious. The only thing I changed was that I added a little catsup to the simmering meat. It was wonderful, and my husband says this should be on our table often. Left overs make for a good lunch the next day too.
This recipe was pretty easy/fast to make and tasty -- seemed like it could have used more kick though, so I think I'll add in more chili powder next time.
Best sloppy joes we have ever had! Deleting all my other recipes for sloppy joes from my files!