- For crust, in another bowl combine the flour, salt and mace. Cut in
- shortening until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add ice water, 1
- tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork until a ball is formed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Divide pastry in half so that one ball is slightly large than the
- other. Roll out large ball on a lightly floured surface to fit a
- 9-in. pie plate.
- Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate.
- Add the filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place
- over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Beat egg with water; brush
- over crust. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 583 calories, 28 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.