When you say "holiday tradition" around our house, this appetizer comes to mind immediately. Every winter, I make lots of cheese logs and freeze them for when I'm expecting company or need to take food to someone's home. The blend of smoked oysters, chili powder, nuts and cream cheese tastes good-even people who don't like oysters may enjoy this interesting appetizer.
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans (3-3/4 ounces each) smoked oysters, well-drained and chopped
- 3 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- Minced fresh parsley
- In mixer bowl, combine the cheese, steak sauce, Miracle Whip, garlic and onion. Stir in oysters and 1 cup of pecans. Shape into two, 9-in. logs. Roll logs in mixture of chili powder, remaining pecans and parsley. Yield: 2 logs
Originally published as Oyster Cheese Appetizer Log in Country December/January 1990, p47
Reviews for Oyster Cheese Appetizer Log
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review