- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- FROSTING AND DECORATIONS:
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting, divided
- 1 teaspoon black paste food coloring
- 12 mini Oreo cookies
- Brown and yellow milk chocolate M&M's
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 21 muffin cups and 6 mini-muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, coffee and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes for regular-sized cupcakes and 10-12 minutes for mini-cupcakes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place 1-1/3 cups chocolate frosting in a small bowl. Tint black with food coloring. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert #125 or other large petal or flat pastry tip. Fill bag with black frosting and set aside.
- Frost mini cupcakes with some of the remaining chocolate frosting. Separate Oreo cookies, leaving cream filling on one side of the cookies. Place filling sides of cookies on frosted cupcakes for eyes, cream side up; attach brown M&M's with chocolate frosting.
- Trim plain sides of cookies into triangles for ears; place above eyes. Insert #16 or other star pastry tip into another pastry bag. Fill bag with remaining chocolate frosting. Pipe feathers on ears and around eyes. Place yellow M&M's between eyes for beaks.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, shortening and enough water to reach spreading consistency; frost large cupcakes. Arrange cupcakes side by side on a covered cake board.
- Pipe black frosting across tops of cupcakes for tree trunk and branches. Place owl cupcakes on branches. Yield: 21 cupcakes and 6 mini cupcakes.
Reviews for Owl Tree
"Five stars for the design and idea! Too flippin cute! Minus one star for cake mix. There are a lot of great cake recipes out there that are only slightly more time consuming and much healthier. That other star had to go for the use of canned frosting. Why not just make a double batch of the butter cream frosting and chocolate/blacken the extra accordingly? Canned frosting is almost as bad as cool whip (which dissolves fake eyelashes, by the way). I'm totally doing this! Thank you!!!"