Overnight Whole Wheat Rolls Recipe
I love to bake and even have a small business selling bread. Making rolls and bread from scratch is an art easily mastered with practice. The swirled shape of these rolls is very attractive.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Additonal melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup butter, honey, salt, eggs, whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 15-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with remaining butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 15 rolls.
- 5. Place rolls, cut side up, in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with additional butter. Cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 138 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC