- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Additonal melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup butter, honey, salt, eggs, whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 15-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with remaining butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 15 rolls.
- Place rolls, cut side up, in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with additional butter. Cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Overnight Whole Wheat Rolls
Sort By :
"These do not seem like they will turn out. The dough is lumpy and different, then overnight... MAGIC! Unbelievable. I use WW pastry flour, that probably helps too. SOO good and light for a wheat roll."
"The rolls were flavorful and had a great texture. The swirly shape made adding more butter tricky, but the kids enjoyed pulling them apart. The honey adds a nice touch of flavor. All in all, they were a tasty hit!"