Overnight Vegetable Bean Salad Recipe
Frozen mixed vegetables and canned kidney beans blend beautifully in this fresh-tasting salad that's tossed in a zippy sweet-sour dressing. Shirley Doyle of Mt. Prospect, Illinois shared this make-ahead dish that's sure to please at your next picnic or potluck.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Place mixed vegetables in a steamer basket over 1 in. of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the kidney beans, celery, green pepper and onion; mix well.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, salt and pepper. Stir in the vinegar and mustard until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Overnight Vegetable Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p8
Reviews for Overnight Vegetable Bean Salad(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2010
This is a very good vegetable salad. I love the fact it uses frozen vegetables. The kidney beans are a nice touch. My husband thinks it tastes so good he doesn't even realize he is eating vegetables!
More Recipe Collections
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Salad Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Salad Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >