Overnight Swedish Rye Bread Recipe
I like this recipe because it allows me to bake bread early in the morning, leaving time for other things. We live in a Scandinavian area, so this bread hits the spot with family and friends.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups rye flour
- 11 to 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; stir in sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Add milk, molasses, brown sugar, oil, oats, orange peel, salt, fennel, aniseed, caraway, rye flour and 6 cups of all-purpose flour. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft but sticky dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Shape into four loaves. Place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes. Remove from the pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 161 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC