Overnight Strawberry French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Cut bread into 3/4-in. slices; spread 12 slices with about 1 tablespoon cream cheese. Top with another 12 slices to form sandwiches. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1/4 cup sugar and salt; pour over sandwiches. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Chop 1 cup strawberries; place in a small bowl. Stir in amaretto or extract and remaining sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 4. Remove French toast from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Brush bread with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Meanwhile, slice remaining strawberries; stir into chilled strawberry mixture. Serve over French toast. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 577 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 187 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium, 81 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Overnight Strawberry French Toast
"Fixed this for Christmas breakfast - it's a keeper!"
"This is quite delicious! A nice breakfast to serve to company. I used sourdough French bread.~ Theresa"