- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut bread into 3/4-in. slices; spread 12 slices with about 1 tablespoon cream cheese. Top with another 12 slices to form sandwiches. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1/4 cup sugar and salt; pour over sandwiches. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Chop 1 cup strawberries; place in a small bowl. Stir in amaretto or extract and remaining sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Remove French toast from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Brush bread with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining strawberries; stir into chilled strawberry mixture. Serve over French toast. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry French Toast in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p170
Reviews for Overnight Strawberry French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 25, 2013
"Fixed this for Christmas breakfast - it's a keeper!"
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2012
"This is quite delicious! A nice breakfast to serve to company. I used sourdough French bread.~ Theresa"