Overnight Spinach Manicotti Recipe
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg whites, parsley, salt, onion powder, pepper and garlic powder. Combine spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1 cup in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Stuff uncooked manicotti shells with ricotta mixture; arrange over tomato sauce. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Remove from the refrigerator 30- minutes before baking. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (2 stuffed shells) equals 423 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,128 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.