I love to make this recipe during the fall and winter months when salad ingredients are less abundant. I also enjoy the ease of preparation when using my food processor.
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 4 mild white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions and carrots; set aside. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in oil. Pour over cabbage mixture. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight; stir several times. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Overnight Slaw in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p57
Reviews for Overnight Slaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2012
"Even my husband liked this one! Next time I will try half celery seed/half celery salt b/c the celery taste seemed strong."