Overnight Sausage Strata
This dish is convenient since you prepare it the night before baking. I always serve this when we have overnight guests because there's no morning prep time. I get to visit while it's in the oven.—Elizabeth Link, Charlotte, North Carolina
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 7 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle
- with butter. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard,
- Italian seasoning and pepper; mix well. Pour over bread. Crumble
- sausage over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 8
- hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 355 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 225 mg cholesterol, 559 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.