This recipe is so appealing because it can be prepared the night before and then popped into the oven an hour before you want to eat. This hearty dish works well as a side dish with pancakes or waffles or can be served as the main course.
Recommended: 13x9 Brunch Recipes
- 3 cups hot cooked grits
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, mix the grits, sausage and cheese. Beat the eggs and milk; stir into grits. Add butter and garlic powder. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Overnight Sausage and Grits in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p18
Reviews for Overnight Sausage and Grits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2010
"Easy to make, tastes great and leftovers are very good, I'm passing it on to my kids."