Overnight Rolls Recipe
I'm pleased to share the recipe for these light and tender rolls, which I've made for 25 years. I once served them to a woman who'd been in the restaurant business for half a century. She said they were the best rolls she'd ever tasted.
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup plus 3/4 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups plus 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in 3 tablespoons water. Add remaining sugar and water, oil, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; mix well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 20 rolls. Place on a greased baking sheet; cover and refrigerate overnight. Allow rolls to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before baking.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter if desired. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 20 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC