Have a little fun making these reindeer-shaped rolls with the kids in your family. And make sure to take pictures—they'll be gone before you know it!—Chris O'Connell, San Antonio, Texas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 36 raisins (about 2 tablespoons), halved
- 18 red candied cherries, halved
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a very soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; divide and shape into 36 balls. Roll each into a 5-in. log. Cut each log lengthwise halfway down the center. Pull the cut sections apart for antlers. Using kitchen shears, snip 1/2-in. cuts along outer sides for antler points. Flatten uncut half of log for face.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water until blended; brush over rolls. Press raisin halves into dough for eyes; press cherry halves into dough for noses. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Overnight Reindeer Rolls in Taste of Home November 2013
Reviews for Overnight Reindeer Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review