- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, salt, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Overnight Refrigerator Rolls
"Excellent recipe! I have tried the recipe as is and also using all butter. The 'all butter' version is preferred. This recipe is especially great when expecting company; it is quick and easy to prepare at bedtime and the next day there is no mess to serve rolls hot out of the oven."