Want to be sure your family's eggs are all ready at the same time on Christmas morning? Try this merry make-ahead breakfast casserole. I sometimes make it heartier by adding some dries beef with the bacon.
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 10 eggs
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the mushrooms; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the remaining butter until hot. Add egg mixture; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are completely set.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 32-36 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Overnight Mushroom Egg Casserole in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p17
Reviews for Overnight Mushroom Egg Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review