Overnight Honey-Wheat Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the yeast mixture, honey, oil, salt, whole wheat flour and remaining water. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into nine balls. To form knots, roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie into a knot. Tuck ends under.
- 3. Place rolls 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 roll (calculated without butter) equals 147 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.