- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a double boiler over medium heat, cook and stir eggs, sugar and vinegar until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine grapes, marshmallows, pineapple, oranges and bananas; add cooled dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped cream and pecans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Overnight Fruit Salad
"The eggs, sugar and vinegar make a nice pudding to incorporate the fruit into. It is an old and delicious recipe. The other recipe without the eggs, sugar and vinegar is called 'five cup salad (with coconut) and it is very good also."
"Amazing, to say the least!!!!"
"What is the purpose of the eggs? I've looked at several other Fruit Salad recipes but this is the first I've seen that called for eggs? Would it ruin the recipe if I omitted them?"
"This is a definite go to salad for company. I had it years ago, and got the recipe and have made it ever since. It is so refreshing."
"We always had this for Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was growing up. My grandmother called it 24 hour salad. Yummy thanks for posting."