- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a double boiler over medium heat, cook and stir eggs, sugar and vinegar until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- In a large serving bowl, combine grapes, marshmallows, pineapple, oranges and bananas; add cooled dressing and stir to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, fold in whipped cream and pecans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Overnight Fruit Salad
"Great new fruit salad. Super easy to make. Guests loved it!"
"I made this for a family Memorial Day get together. It was a definite hit. Everyone raved about it."
"The salad tasted good. I was disappointed in it though. I followed the recipe exactly except following one reviewers suggestion of replacing whipped cream with cool whip. You couldn't tell what fruit you were eating. The bananas and marshmallows just disintegrated. The pudding became almost foamy and overpowered the fruit. If I make it again, I would definitely increase the quantity of fruit. The bananas didn't have a chance to turn brown."
"Sounding awful and tasting awful are two different things BigMick1. There are all different types of fruit salads. Please do not knock it until you try it. Why add all of that junk you ask? Because it tastes good that's why."
"The eggs, sugar and vinegar make a nice pudding to incorporate the fruit into. It is an old and delicious recipe. The other recipe without the eggs, sugar and vinegar is called 'five cup salad (with coconut) and it is very good also."