Overnight French Toast Recipe
Meet the Cook: Youngsters who won't eat eggs cooked the traditional ways "go crazy" for this breakfast dish. I should know - I have four children, ages 13 and 17. -Catherine Buehre, Weeping Water, Nebraska
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced cinnamon-raisin bread
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Fresh strawberries or maple syrup, optional
- 1. Slice ends from bread and discard or save for another use. Slice remaining loaf into eight 1-in. slices and arrange in the bottom of two greased 8-in. square baking pans.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, cream, brown sugar, pie spice and flavorings. Gradually add milk, beating until well blended; pour over bread. Cover and chill overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 4. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; top with strawberries or syrup if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 407 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 229 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC