Overnight French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced cinnamon-raisin bread
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Fresh strawberries or maple syrup, optional
- 1. Slice ends from bread and discard or save for another use. Slice remaining loaf into eight 1-in. slices and arrange in the bottom of two greased 8-in. square baking pans.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, cream, brown sugar, pie spice and flavorings. Gradually add milk, beating until well blended; pour over bread. Cover and chill overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 4. Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; top with strawberries or syrup if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 407 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Overnight French Toast
"Although the flavor was very good, this recipe is not one I will make again. The bread was very soggy and took away from the taste. I should have read the reviews first before making it. The ingredients sounded so good is why I tried it but I have to say I was very disappointed. Since it made two 8 by 8 pans, I gave one to my daughter and family and they share the same conclusion ... just way too soggy."
"Easy and good on holidays for a simple breakfast"
"This recipe calls for lots of liquid- I cooked it way longer than it called for and the bread was still soggy- YUCK"