- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced cinnamon-raisin bread
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Fresh strawberries or maple syrup, optional
- Slice ends from bread and discard or save for another use. Slice remaining loaf into eight 1-in. slices and arrange in the bottom of two greased 8-in. square baking pans.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, cream, brown sugar, pie spice and flavorings. Gradually add milk, beating until well blended; pour over bread. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm; top with strawberries or syrup if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Overnight French Toast
Sort By :
"Although the flavor was very good, this recipe is not one I will make again. The bread was very soggy and took away from the taste. I should have read the reviews first before making it. The ingredients sounded so good is why I tried it but I have to say I was very disappointed. Since it made two 8 by 8 pans, I gave one to my daughter and family and they share the same conclusion ... just way too soggy."
"Easy and good on holidays for a simple breakfast"
"This recipe calls for lots of liquid- I cooked it way longer than it called for and the bread was still soggy- YUCK"