This has been a very popular salad from my recipe box for a long, long time! Before I retired, when my office had a covered-dish-get-together, I was always asked to bring my tangy coleslaw. My family loves it, too.
—Fern Hammock, Garland, Texas
12-16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 12 cups shredded cabbage (1 medium head)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Sprinkle with sugar;
- set aside. In a large saucepan, combine dressing ingredients; bring
- to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour over vegetables; toss to
- coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir well before serving.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 162 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.