Overnight Cinnamon Wreaths Recipe
Here’s a lovely addition to your dining table during the holiday season. Put this dreamy dough in the refrigerator overnight, then create two festive holiday wreaths the next day. —Chris O'Connell, San Antonio, Texas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup softened butter, divided
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a very soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Turn onto a floured surface; divide dough in half. Roll one portion into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle evenly with half of the brown sugar mixture.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 12-in. pizza pan or 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down. Shape into a ring; pinch ends together to seal. (Filling may leak slightly during baking; be sure to use a rimmed baking pan.)
- 4. Using kitchen scissors, start at outside edge and cut two-thirds of the way through the ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate sections slightly and twist to show filling. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 5. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 6. For egg wash, in a small bowl, whisk egg and water until blended; brush over wreaths. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- 7. For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla. Spread over wreaths. Yield: 2 wreaths (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 281 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC