Overnight Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- CINNAMON FILLING:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup softened butter, divided
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a very soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Turn dough onto a floured surface; divide dough in half. Roll one portion into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread with 1/4 cup butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle evenly with half of the brown sugar mixture.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan, cut side down. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 4. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla; spread over warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Dark Chocolate Filling: Finely grate one 4-oz. bittersweet chocolate baking bar; gently stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. baking cocoa and 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon. Sprinkle over butter in place of brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Orange-Spice Filling: Mix 1 cup packed brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. grated orange peel, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground ginger and 1/2 tsp. each ground cardamom, ground cloves and ground allspice until blended. Sprinkle over butter in place of brown sugar-cinnamon mixture.
1 roll: 278 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
"Very good, light texture. Dough is easy to work with. I added raisins to the filling. Definitely making again!"
"Delicious recipe and so easy to make! Nice light, fluffy rolls. Will definitely make again."
"@melel1717, there is no kneading, no rising, no punching down in this recipe. I'm not sure why you'd want to. There's plenty of recipes that are no knead, meaning not every yeast recipe has to rise, has to be punched down. I make some pretty fabulous hamburger buns that are no rise. They're soft and oh so delicious. Make sure to use the right amount of yeast, the right kind of yeast, and mix as directed. I make a delicious bread that is no knead, no punching down....just follow the recipe. Happy baking!"
"Will punching down and letting the dough rise make the dough softer??? And how about kneading it??? Please explain for I am confused between kneading and punching down and rise and how many time should it be done..."
"I made these for Christmas morning and they were delicious. Light and fluffy just the way a cinnamon roll should be. I will definitely make these again."
"I was disappointed in the texture of these rolls. I'm a long-time bread maker, and am used to such breads or rolls being a much different texture, usually a soft, light texture. These, when made exactly by the recipe, turned out to be the texture of cornbread. I had made them for a special breakfast treat for overnight guests and after eating one each, I threw out an almost-full pan. I suggest that any yeast breads must be punched down and risen at least twice before making into the finished shape."
"Love this recipe. I no longer have to get up 2 hours earlier than my family for us to have hot cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning! Nancy, add what every you like to the filling. That's what makes the recipe your own. Enjoy!"
"Did not make these yet, but wonder why non of the cinnamon rolls call for adding raisins and chopped nuts? The ones I remember had them in it and makes the cinnamon rolls taste much better."
"I used this recipe to make a bakery order for 6 dozen rolls for Christmas Eve, AND to make an extra batch for my own family. I made the dough on the 23rd. and tolled, put the filling in, raised, and baked all but my family's on the 24th. I shaped and filled my family's, put them in the baking pan, covered them tightly and then put them back in the fridge until Christmas morning. I took them out 20 minutes before baking and they were perfect..everyone raved about them! Excellent recipe..don't be afraid to shape and fill and then refridgerate. Worked like a charm!!!Owning a bakery I make a LOT of bread and rolls..this dough was easy to work with, low maintenance, and allowed me to get all my orders filled for afternoon pickup due to being able to refridgerate the dough. Highly recommend this recipe!!"
"Crystal42, you can let the dough sit at room temp and rise for an hour if you want to bake the same day, but the reason for putting the dough in the fridge overnight, is that the yeast development is slowed down, while still allowing the enzymes that naturally occur in the flour to do their work (converting starches to sugars, making a more flavorful dough). I will make this sometime this week!"
"Do you have to refrigerate the dough after you make it? I am confused how it is good the following day. Can anyone help?"
"Love, love these cinnamon rolls....I made it the first time as directed with the cinnamon filling and it was delicious! I just made it again on Saturday August 3oth 2014, but I used the chocolate filling and holy moly it was to die for!!! My boyfriend cannot wait for the orange-spice filling variation..This recipe has been made twice and it looks like I will be making it again for the third time...YUM"
"Great for entertaining because all the messy work was done the day before."
"These cinnamon rolls taste amazing and they are so easy to make! I added pecans and caramel pieces to my second batch, in addition to the cinnamon filling - gooey and delicious!"
"Delicious. easy dough to put together the night before. My family loved these!"