Overnight Chicken Casserole Recipe
I don't know where this casserole originated, but the recipe was given to me some 40 years ago. It's my family's all-time favorite. Not only is it a great "company" meal, it's also well-received at potluck dinners.
- 8 slices day-old white bread
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 slices process American cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Remove the crusts from bread and set aside. Arrange bread slices in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken; cover with the mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mayonnaise and salt. Pour over chicken. Arrange cheese on top. Combine soups and pimientos; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Crumble reserved crusts; toss with melted butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving: 438 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Overnight Chicken Casserole
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2015
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC