Overnight Brunch Casserole Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 5 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 4 large eggs
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and green onions in remaining butter until tender. Add ham; heat through. Whisk egg substitute and eggs; add to skillet. Cook and stir until almost set. Stir in cheese sauce.
- 3. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread cubes with butter. Arrange over egg mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 150 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Overnight Brunch Casserole
"I have been making this recipe for years, from a Taste of Home magazine, but mine is a little different. It uses 12 eggs and velveeta for the cheese. My husband is a pastor and we often have missionaries staying in our home. When our children were young, they called it the "missionary casserole" since I often fixed it for our overnight guests. Though they are now grown and married with children of their own, it is still called the "missionary casserole.""
"Fantastic meal. Easy to make and I like that I could make it the night before.Thanks!!"