Overnight Brunch Casserole Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 5 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 4 eggs
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and green onions in remaining butter until tender. Add ham; heat through. Whisk egg substitute and eggs; add to skillet. Cook and stir until almost set. Stir in cheese sauce.
- 3. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread cubes with butter. Arrange over egg mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 150 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer