Overnight Baked Porridge Recipe
I've always loved to cook. And coming from a family of seven brothers and three sisters, there was always someone willing to be my "guinea pig"! I still like to try new recipes, but this tried-and-true dish is one of my favorites.
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional milk, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; add oats. Return to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Combine eggs, apples, brown sugar, milk, oil, raisins, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in oatmeal. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; pour milk over each serving if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Overnight Baked Porridge in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p80
Reviews for Overnight Baked Porridge(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review