Overnight Apple French Toast Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-in. slices
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 jar (10 ounces) apple jelly
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and syrup. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Pour into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange apples over top.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip bread slices into the egg mixture 1 minute; place over apples. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients; heat through. Serve with French toast. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Overnight Apple French Toast
Sort By :
I made this over the weekend and it was a great hit. Followed the recipe. It is a keeper for me.
i make this recipe every year on christmas eve. its a great way to start christmas morning, i pop it in the oven as soon as i get up and its ready to eat by the time everyone is done opening presents.
This was amazing! Delicious and easy to make. I put it all together Christmas Eve and it was ready to bake the next morning. I have to say for me personally it was a bit too sweet to eat for breakfast but everyone else went crazy for it.
we didnt have apple jam, strawberry jam does substitute quite finely.
Delicious! The brown sugar turns into a wonderful caramel sauce. The bread was very soft, so someone who is picky about things being "soggy" may not enjoy, but I think dipping the bread for less time might fix some of that too. I did use more egg mixture than the recipe called for. I enjoyed it as is.