- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine Muenster, cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in cream, eggs, process cheese, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups of cheese mixture. Drain pasta; add to cheese mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture and dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 40-45 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Over-the-Top Mac 'n' Cheese
"This recipe is wonderful!!"
"I found the finished Mac & Cheese dish to be very dry. When I read the recipe, I could tell that it might be dry, so I increased the amount of half & half by half a cup and increased each cheese by a quarter of a cup. In spite of the increases, it was still dry. I also noted that salt and pepper were the only spices and that despite the variety of cheeses, the taste might be bland. So I added some cayenne pepper and a multiple herb & spice blend. Still, the flavor did not jump off the page at me. This recipe needs a serious overhaul. It's not the wost I've ever made but it certainly is a far cry from the best! If this were a family recipe of mine, I definately would not have posted it!"
"This is for Uldeno. You can substitute Provolone for the Munster, or just use more Monterey Jack. Either one works well as a a substitute for Munster. Hope that helps!"
"It sounds amazing. I love M&C..... BUT....Were I live we don't have Muenster cheese.What can I use instead?I live in Israel......"
"I didn't find this very creamy as is, either. Maybe using evaporated milk or regular milk instead of half-n-half would have made it creamier. This recipe needs a lot more seasoning as well. I watched my boyfriend sprinkle on the pepper quite a bit. :("
"this is or was the best mack and cheese I have ever eaten."
"This amazing recipe is one of my staples and I am very picky about repeat recipes. I did however change it just a bit. Instead of normal Velveeta I use the white or Blanco as it is labeled on the package. I do not use seasoning salt at all. The cheeses give it enough salt as it is. I do however in place of seasoning salt sprinkle over the top, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of each: Paprika, Garlic, and Onion Powder. I also add some fresh ground pepper and a generous squeeze of yellow mustard, about 1.5 to 2 Tbsp. It gives it a very subtle kick my family enjoys. I have been cooking since I was 7 and I absolutely love it as well as constant experimenting that fortunately for my family has only been yucky 3 times. Lol. That is a good record for how long I have been cooking for them. (9 years for my family)I am sure I messed up when I was younger but I followed recipes exactly back then. Happy Cooking!"
"thought too many cheeses and hard to warm up and still taste like first day. second day too dry."
"I actually added a couple of well beaten eggs in with the liquid and mixed in some well drained spinach! I baked until it was set in the center and add more shredded cheese on the top and it was fantastic!"